–style 8YHZ0RGqm-3UmPObQEqr-D5u2S297–ar 16:9 or not so random magic of Midjourney Style Tuning
You may have seen it somewhere, a chain of random characters at the end of a prompt, the only thing that made us think it’s not an accident was the aspect ratio right after. What are those? Well, they are style tuning parameters. As everything happens for a reason, we are thrilled to share the news with you, those seemingly random characters are not everything but random. And we bet that you will love it. Let us tell you why.
In one of her recent finds, design director & founder of @offscreenai, a project on educational books for kids, very active MJ explorer and most of all talented creator Tatiana Tsiguleva, shared this:
“Prompt: Abstract Expressionism street photo of a woman –style 8YHZ0RGqm-3UmPObQEqr-D5u2S297-4yuG4HZyCHwGsXsx-2dxwwxVFE3LC-dCqlpRRnUKWsgbGX68IwPCNVIcd-4G7sJvV0vQTb-2dQJV5KAaXqo-b7SDrORxyc24CLtaDb –ar 16:9”
We were like “what the hell”, like anybody else would, but Tatiana quickly shared the whole backstory. Apparently it it the magic of /tune, a new MJ feature that helps you choose the visual authenticity of your images. How? Let’s share the top notch FAQ prepared by the original creator.
2. How did you arrive at this? Tons of experiments.
3. What were you finding particularly challenging? Find out the logic behind this feature to be able to constantly create new styles that work exactly as I expect.
4. Do these style codes work on Dall-E too? No, this is a MJ feature.
5. Can I stack the same style a few times? Yes, but it will work only if you add at least 1 different style to the stack.
6. How can I use the style you posted? I wrote it just like this prompt, but the results were not similar. If the subject in your prompt is far from my examples, most likely, it will not work correctly. It depends on the particular prompt. Do experiments yourself.
8. What else should I know about the tuner? – Use ‘–s 20’ if you want your style code to minimally impact the output. – I noticed that if your prompt is far from the subject the tuner was tuned for, your images will have super low contrast (will have a lot of white tones).
An amazing find. Yet, the best is yet to come, as Tatiana shared a tool for this the following day. Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the MIDJOURNEY STYLE SLIDERS BY JAN BOON: ADVANCED STYLE CODE CUSTOMIZATION. A style code generator for MJ v 5.2, raw and niji 5 that allows users to adjust certain aspects of the intended visuals, such as brightness, contrast, angles, coloring, colorful paint splashes and many many more. Thats some precious find of Tatiana, a tool created by by Jan Boon.
You may easily work out your own way here, and if you like the tool please consider buying Jan a coffee here.
If you are interested in how different styles a.k.a. seemingly-random-set-of-characters applied on the same prompt looks like you should check out a thread by rlph, well executed Sir.
You can read the whole thread here. Enjoy the ride 🙂